Archive for Dr. Grabow Pipes "America's One and Only"
 


       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your Dr. Grabows
Abe Frohman

Been a lucky year for me.

First I got the Bard and now I get to mark another one off the list.

http://i.imgur.com/PzhBMAo.jpg
ozark southpaw

Good score! Those don't come up very often!
Abe Frohman

Yeah, I was stoked when I found it on the bag and I even got it uncontested for what I consider a fair price.  Glad to have marked off a few rarities that I wanted in the same year.

Edit:  Now I just need to get a Skyliner to fill eh?
ozark southpaw

Abe Frohman wrote:
Yeah, I was stoked when I found it on the bag and I even got it uncontested for what I consider a fair price.  Glad to have marked off a few rarities that I wanted in the same year.

Edit:  Now I just need to get a Skyliner to fill eh?


There's one on Ebag!
Abe Frohman

There's always that same one on ebay, the one using your picture if the full Skyliner as I recall.  I'm not sure I want to spend 250 that bad boy just yet.  It's not going anywhere anyhow.
ozark southpaw

Yep,that's it. Be nice if it had the cards.
Abe Frohman

Yeah, if I picked that up, I'd probably repop the cards, and if I go that route, why not just repop the whole thing and save the money.
Oldredbeard

Great score on the meer, they certainly don't come up often, and that one looks to be in good shape.

I agree with you on the skyliner, if you were going to make any part of it, then why not the whole thing.
Abe Frohman

I've actually considered it in the past.  The problem I think is finding good quality scans of the cards, though it does raise an interesting thought.  Are there enough salesman samplers to fill out a sampler sized skyliner?  

Also, does a reproduction skyliner cheapen it?  

I leave you with this quote from the auction.

"You are bidding on a Dr. Grabow Carved Meerschaum Smoking Pipe - Bird Talon w/Case #1001. No caking, no bite marks. Light use.  No cracks. Marked Turkey on the stem, I prefer to think of it as an Eagle, Turkey just doesn't sound good."
Drifter-MT

Nicely done, congratulations!
Spadefan

Abe Frohman wrote:
....
I leave you with this quote from the auction.

"You are bidding on a Dr. Grabow Carved Meerschaum Smoking Pipe - Bird Talon w/Case #1001. No caking, no bite marks. Light use.  No cracks. Marked Turkey on the stem, I prefer to think of it as an Eagle, Turkey just doesn't sound good."


That's hilarious
alsmith52

nice score - a rare one. Al
Abe Frohman

There's always more to find.  A nice Viking Jr, a Silver Spade Berwyk etc.

That's half the fun.
ozark southpaw

Abe Frohman wrote:
Yeah, if I picked that up, I'd probably repop the cards, and if I go that route, why not just repop the whole thing and save the money.


Need measurements?  Laughing
Abe Frohman

Not yet, but eventually.  Maybe.  Probably.
vwdeano

Dandy Meer...  great stuff!
WayneD

Congrats. Beautiful score.
pipesbywhitney

Spadefan wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:
....
I leave you with this quote from the auction.

"You are bidding on a Dr. Grabow Carved Meerschaum Smoking Pipe - Bird Talon w/Case #1001. No caking, no bite marks. Light use.  No cracks. Marked Turkey on the stem, I prefer to think of it as an Eagle, Turkey just doesn't sound good."


That's hilarious


I think the seller was the turkey! Laughing
Thelonious Monkfish

pipesbywhitney wrote:
I think the seller was the turkey! Laughing

Dave! You've got me jive talking now, thanks.

Nice Meer.
Piffyr

Well, helloooo, sexy!!! Congrats, Abe! That's a darn fine looking meer. Anybody know who was carving these for Grabow?
Abe Frohman

Not sure if it was ever mentioned other than someone in Turkey and that they didn't stick to the carves Grabow wanted.
       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your Dr. Grabows
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum