Archive for Dr. Grabow Pipes "America's One and Only"
 


       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your Dr. Grabows
PDXMike

I lLove My Starfires

Looking through my collection of Dr Grabow pipes, I soon see that Starfires are the most numerous and diverse I own. I don't know if there were more of them made than any other line of pipes...maybe I'm just attracted to them more than others.

Here's one I recently picked up on ebay, shape No 38. (If that is what the stamp on the shank indicates)







I think Dr Grabow had a real winner with this pipe. It looks good, feels good, smokes like a dream, everything I love in a pipe!
vwdeano

love the starfires...  Great smokers.
Spadefan

Looks kind of like a shape 36 which is a common shape for a Starfire.  I dont recall ever seeing an old Linkman shape 38 in the Starfire line.  In fact I dont recall ever seeing any old Linkman shape in Starfire.

A #38 Starfire would be very rare.  

Others will have more knowledge than me.
Piffyr

Outstanding grain on that one, Mike. Congrats!
JoeMan

Per our timeline info here, they were in production from '56 - '92, were made in a great majority (if not all) of the standard shapes, and all of the Continental shapes. Add some triangle-shank models as well as early Starfire churchwardens, and the variety gets more amazing.  I have no clue what the % of Starfires vs. total production looks like over the years, but there are a ton of'em out there.  And Grabow did not spare the nice briar either.  I've got a few Starfire whose grain rivals any pipe I have.

If one had a smooth and wirecarved Starfire in every shape they came in...I can only imagine how large that collection would be.  And it would be a very respectable collection at that.
WayneD

Nice looking Starfire, Mike. I have a few and they are all good smokers. In fact Starfires are about the only pipes that are in my sites these days. Well, unless something else catches my eye in the mean time.  Wink
Oldredbeard

Very nice Starfire sir, congrats. I too love the line, and find them to smoke as good as any others.
Drifter-MT

Very nice there indeed!
GrabowFan

Very nice!  I'm a fan of the Starfire line as well.  I've almost  completed two 7 day sets of Starfires, one smooth and one wire-carved.  Most of them need refurbishing, but they'll be a prized portion of my collection.
ozark southpaw

Starfires can be real sleepers and that is a nice one. I agree with Gerald though--it's a 36.
Jimmy1973

Very nice grain on that one.
Spadefan

Heres another #38, this time a Viscount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-D.../400968611150?hash=item5d5b97754e
Spadefan

Re: I lLove My Starfires

PDXMike wrote:
Looking through my collection of Dr Grabow pipes, I soon see that Starfires are the most numerous and diverse I own. I don't know if there were more of them made than any other line of pipes...maybe I'm just attracted to them more than others.

Here's one I recently picked up on ebay, shape No 38. (If that is what the stamp on the shank indicates)







I think Dr Grabow had a real winner with this pipe. It looks good, feels good, smokes like a dream, everything I love in a pipe!


PDXMike
Could you please post a pic please showing your #38 next to a #36, assuming you have one,  so we can see the difference?
ozark southpaw

Looks like another that ain't on the charts!!
PDXMike

Spadefan, I wish I had a no 36 to compare it to. I looked but couldn't find one. (at least not yet. I am pretty disorganized at the moment.)

However what I'll do is post this picture of  the 6 Starfires I did find plus one other that doesn't belong. (Hint: it's the vertical facing one) See if you can identify it! I didn't have a clue when I put a bid on it. It just said "Ajustomatic pipe" in the description and the pictures were pretty blurry. It will only need a light cleaning. Otherwise it's in phenomenal shape.


ted

You reminded me that there was an old shape #38. The shape was discontinued in about 1963.
Best I recall it is slightly larger than todays #36..

Thanks.. td
JoeMan

PDXMike wrote:

However what I'll do is post this picture of  the 6 Starfires I did find plus one other that doesn't belong. (Hint: it's the vertical facing one) See if you can identify it! I didn't have a clue when I put a bid on it. It just said "Ajustomatic pipe" in the description and the pictures were pretty blurry. It will only need a light cleaning. Otherwise it's in phenomenal shape.


PDX...I believe that's a Belvedere 84...maybe 84L...hard to tell by the image.

That little paneled Starfire you've got at the bottom is nice.

Nice Starfire family!
Spadefan

+7♠
Spadefan

PDXMike wrote:
Spadefan, I wish I had a no 36 to compare it to. I looked but couldn't find one. (at least not yet. I am pretty disorganized at the moment.)

However what I'll do is post this picture of  the 6 Starfires I did find plus one other that doesn't belong. (Hint: it's the vertical facing one) See if you can identify it! I didn't have a clue when I put a bid on it. It just said "Ajustomatic pipe" in the description and the pictures were pretty blurry. It will only need a light cleaning. Otherwise it's in phenomenal shape.




PDXM,
The Canadian looks like it has an oval shank.  Does it?  If round it is another old Linkman shape.
Spadefan

ozark southpaw wrote:
Looks like another that ain't on the charts!!


Its on the old Linkman charts as a #38.

Spadefan

JoeMan wrote:


That little paneled Starfire you've got at the bottom is nice.



Linkman's made a Short Dublin as a #15A.  

PDXM's Starfire could be an old Linkman #15 that had some surface flaws and was sanded to a Hex Paneled.

Looks like there were some old Linkman shapes made into Starfire, Viscount, etc. in the 50's and early 60's.

Very very cool
ozark southpaw

Spadefan wrote:
ozark southpaw wrote:
Looks like another that ain't on the charts!!


Its on the old Linkman charts as a #38.



I was thinking of the later charts when the Starfires and Viscounts etc were made.
ozark southpaw

Spadefan wrote:
JoeMan wrote:


That little paneled Starfire you've got at the bottom is nice.



Linkman's made a Short Dublin as a #15A.  

PDXM's Starfire could be an old Linkman #15 that had some surface flaws and was sanded to a Hex Paneled.

Looks like there were some old Linkman shapes made into Starfire, Viscount, etc. in the 50's and early 60's.

Very very cool


I have one of those little Starfire panels and don't think it could have been made from a Dublin shaped pipe of that size. Not enough meat at the bottom of the bowl. I don't doubt that maybe some left over Linkman shape stummels were stamped Starfire,Viscount etc.
Spadefan

[quote="ozark southpaw:129680"]
Spadefan wrote:
JoeMan wrote:


That little paneled Starfire you've got at the bottom is nice.



Linkman's made a Short Dublin as a #15A.  


I have one of those little Starfire panels and don't think it could have been made from a Dublin shaped pipe of that size. Not enough meat at the bottom of the bowl. I don't doubt that maybe some left over Linkman shape stummels were stamped Starfire,Viscount etc.


Good point, hadnt thought of that.  I guess they would have started with a billiard type bowl with flaws and sanded it.
PDXMike

Quote:
PDX...I believe that's a Belvedere 84...maybe 84L...hard to tell by the image.

That little paneled Starfire you've got at the bottom is nice.

Nice Starfire family!


Belvedere is correct! I don't see a shape number but you must be right. Still haven't had time to research it. It does have an oval shank. I'm really happy to have that one and will be cleaning up/posting pictures tomorrow.

The little paneled Starfire is one the smallest, most delicate pipes I have. It has a tiny needle sharp stinger that I could use for a finger tip blood sample draw.[/quote]
ozark southpaw

PDXMike wrote:
Quote:
PDX...I believe that's a Belvedere 84...maybe 84L...hard to tell by the image.

That little paneled Starfire you've got at the bottom is nice.

Nice Starfire family!


Belvedere is correct! I don't see a shape number but you must be right. Still haven't had time to research it. It does have an oval shank. I'm really happy to have that one and will be cleaning up/posting pictures tomorrow.

The little paneled Starfire is one the smallest, most delicate pipes I have. It has a tiny needle sharp stinger that I could use for a finger tip blood sample draw.
[/quote]

That Starfire is sounding more and more interesting. I wonder if that stinger/cleaner is original. The only pipe I recall seeing s a needle sharp stinger in is one of my 3" salemans samples and  also two Linkman cigarette holders. All three are one piece-not removable.
PDXMike

Here's close up of the stinger. I don't think it's removable.

PDXMike

ozark southpaw wrote:
Starfires can be real sleepers and that is a nice one. I agree with Gerald though--it's a 36.



[/quote]
ozark southpaw

Certainly one unusual Starfire! Odd number,odd stinger and an odd size for a Starfire.  
Took a look at my SF panel and it has a conventional removable cleaner.  The one in yours does look like it is not removable and ain't made like any I remember.
       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your Dr. Grabows
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum