Archive for Dr. Grabow Pipes "America's One and Only"
 


       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your Dr. Grabows
JoeMan

Junktique finds

Only one of these has a 'before' image...so they're here in 'show your DG'.

This is the last of the "finds" to show from our days in Sparta.  Sean, Dean and I (mind you, while at least 2 of us were quite under the weather...but we soldiered on) hit a few junktiques on Friday morning, day after the factory tour...just before we parted ways for home and Raleigh show.  As the 3 of us rustled thru a little glass-topped display case together, I hit on these 3.

The bowl AND stem on this ajusto Savoy were smoked shut.  The stem was frozen.  Took some work and process to get'em apart.  Here they are, just after I began reaming...which was a major chore on this one...it was HARD as a rock.



After a lotta love, came out ok...



I like the grain flow on this little pipe...




You don't see many of the older ajusto Savoys...but what's more unique about this one is the "shorter" scoop stinger.  It has not been customized by some user...it's intact...and as you can see by this comparison...the Savoy stinger is clearly shorter than the standard DG stinger next to it.  And I tried...the regular stinger will not fit...too long.  



Here's a Tru-Grain which needed just a light cleaning and spit shine...while it's between 60-70 years old...looks like someone smoked it once...stinger and mortise threads were shiny.






And lastly...this lovely Commodore 11 'bent' apple.  That's right Mr. James...I did NOT bend this one!  Needed just a bit of de-char, reaming, light wet-sand and buffing.  It wanted to shine.




A very nice blast...


pipesbywhitney

Nice finds, great job of cleaning them up!
Oldredbeard

Very nice finds, and clean ups Joe. They all have some really nice grain, but I agree, that first one is sweet. Congrats sir.
Steveaux

I agree about the grain on that Savoy, great flow.

That Commodore makes me twitch.

Those are, indeed, great finds.

All I've found in the junktiqueries, around here, are a few burned-out cobs.
alsmith52

nice restores
JoeMan

Steve...well...when you're within miles of the Sparta factory...bound to be plenty of pipes coming out of the woodwork.  It's slim pickin' in Greenville as well.
Troy_nov1965

I got a Commodore just like that but with straight stem  and its still unsmoked.
Steveaux

JoeMan wrote:
Steve...well...when you're within miles of the Sparta factory...bound to be plenty of pipes coming out of the woodwork.  It's slim pickin' in Greenville as well.


That seals it.

When I head to visit my son in Charlotte, I'm makin' a li'l detour.
JoeMan

Hit every junk and antique you can find.  NC has been the best for me, surely partly due to the presence of Grabow (and formerly Mastercraft).
ol gto

Beautiful pipes, great catch Joe.
vwdeano

Great stuff!
ted

Which store Joe?

The #77 and the Commodore are great.
Spadefan

Really nice work Joe
pwoodard

They turned out great Joe, very nice work!
JoeMan

Tom...don't recall the name, but it's the long shop which has an upper level on the far left end which is 3 or 4 steps up.   I got the pewter ashtray when you were there with me last time. Wish I could remember the name or the road that it's on.
ted

JoeMan wrote:
Tom...don't recall the name, but it's the long shop which has an upper level on the far left end which is 3 or 4 steps up.   I got the pewter ashtray when you were there with me last time. Wish I could remember the name or the road that it's on.


Got it.. Bet Sean was in heaven in there..  td
ozark southpaw

More nice scores Joe !  Jefferson,NC.--not far from Sparta has some nice shops also.  Emory ( the Duke) and I found some nice stuff there.
Thelonious Monkfish

Beautiful finds/work. The Tru-Grain is nice, you can send the other two this way...
JoeMan

ozark southpaw wrote:
More nice scores Joe !  Jefferson,NC.--not far from Sparta has some nice shops also.  Emory ( the Duke) and I found some nice stuff there.


Ed, yep it was in Jefferson (or West Jefferson?).  They had several good ones and a lot of junk pipes as well.
Fr_Tom

I have to say the Commodores have always caught my eye. This one is especially nice.

I have a Commodore pot that is a great smoker despite a vanilla ghost that I could still taste at the bottom of the bowl after probably 30 bowls of OJK. It was persistent, but I finally exorcised it...
WayneD

Nice haul and they cleaned up nicely. Congrats!
JoeMan

Fr_Tom wrote:
I have a Commodore pot that is a great smoker despite a vanilla ghost that I could still taste at the bottom of the bowl after probably 30 bowls of OJK. It was persistent, but I finally exorcised it...


You could think of it as a little heavenly bowl of vanilla ice cream for dessert after whatever earthy meal you had in the pipe.   Razz
Fr_Tom

JoeMan wrote:


You could think of it as a little heavenly bowl of vanilla ice cream for dessert after whatever earthy meal you had in the pipe.   Razz


Of course - you will note I kept smoking it. I knew OJK would win in the end.
JoeMan

That's funny because I do sort of the opposite...keep smoking Vanilla Custard until the latakia ghost is gone.  Wink
       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your Dr. Grabows
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum