Archive for Dr. Grabow Pipes "America's One and Only"
 


       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your Dr. Grabows
Spadefan

Lets see your Linkman and Grabow Cigar Cigarette Holders

Lets see your Linkman and Grabow Cigar Cigarette Holders

I'll go first

stamped DR. GRABOW XL



Drifter-MT

I don't have one.  Have thought to get one, but I smoke cigars rarely, and never cigarettes.  Also, I smoke various size cigars so would need various ring sized models.
JoeMan

Here's the one I've got...





Sizes seem to include P, M, L and XL.  Mine is P as you can see, and fits a smallish cigar.  

These were made prior to Tom's time, his educated guess was early 60's.
ted

JoeMan wrote:
Here's the one I've got...





Sizes seem to include P, M, L and XL.  Mine is P as you can see, and fits a smallish cigar.  

These were made prior to Tom's time, his educated guess was early 60's.


Made prior, but we were still selling them while I was there. Just wasn't a big market.. td
Spadefan

JoeMan wrote:
Here's the one I've got...





Sizes seem to include P, M, L and XL.  Mine is P as you can see, and fits a smallish cigar.  

These were made prior to Tom's time, his educated guess was early 60's.


Nice one Joe.  I didnt know about the Petite  size.
Thelonious Monkfish

What's with the stinger? I have a KW Campus with a similar one. Was that style only for the holders?
Spadefan

Thelonious Monkfish wrote:
What's with the stinger? I have a KW Campus with a similar one. Was that style only for the holders?


Im thinking it was designed to penetrate and hold on to the end of the cigar as the cigar is twisted into the threads.
JoeMan

Spadefan wrote:
Nice one Joe.  I didnt know about the Petite  size.

Tom noted earlier that P may also have indicated Panatela; given the smaller ring gage on my DG cigar holder, and that Panatelas can be fairly slim in the mid-30's range...that sounds right...Panatela / Petite.
ozark southpaw

Here's what I have. The short one in front is a Medico and I'm not to sure about the one in back row with the blue dot on the stem. It has no stamping but the threads and cleaner look similar to Grabow.  The yellow stemmed cigarette holder is stamped Linkmans DG and also has the cleaner patent number. The cigar holders are both stamped DG but no size,one on right has no spade.  
I'm not sure if the cigarette holder to the left of the Linkman is factory made or not. It does not come apart and if you look inside it you can see the aluminum tenon and female fitting. Could be home made but it was nicely done. It has no cleaner/stinger.




JoeMan

Ed...I've got a TINY little Starfire pipe (collegiate size I'd say) which has that same pointy stinger that you show just above.  So it was used in cig holders AND pipes!
ozark southpaw

JoeMan wrote:
Ed...I've got a TINY little Starfire (collegiate size I'd say) which has that same pointy stinger that you show just above.


The threads on that one do look like the later Ajustomatic threads. Seems like I have seen this type in something else,but can't remember what. It may have been your Starfire.
JoeMan

ozark southpaw wrote:
JoeMan wrote:
Ed...I've got a TINY little Starfire (collegiate size I'd say) which has that same pointy stinger that you show just above.


The threads on that one do look like the later Ajustomatic threads. Seems like I have seen this type in something else,but can't remember what. It may have been your Starfire.


I've seen it once before as well.  This SF has never seen these forum pages, but perhaps it should.  It's a pretty little thing, but tiny!
Eric

Not sure if I have any Dr.Grabow Cigar holders, but I have a bunch of them from the seventies. Cigar and Cigarette holders. I know their are some Dunhill holders in the lot, reckon anyone would be interested in buying any of these? They were in with a Pipe shop lot I bought that closed down in the seventies. I can get pics if anyone is interested.

Eric
Spadefan

Ed
That Linkman's cigarette holder is very cool
WayneD

You guys have some nice holders there. I havent seen them come up for sale very often. Those DGs have a cool retro/wood look to them.
JoeMan

True Wayne, I've not seen a DG holder on the bag for a good while myself.  I've only used mine once, but glad to have it in the collection.
JoeMan

Ed, turns out my little Starfire has the same pointy stinger as the cigar holder I have!  I will assume this little pipe was also made in the early 60's, due to the stinger.

Thelonious Monkfish

Joe, that's a nice Starfire, you asking 5.95? I have a KW Campus with the same style stinger and it's got a wide open draw.

JoeMan

Does that one work as an Ajusto??
Thelonious Monkfish

JoeMan wrote:
Does that one work as an Ajusto??

Nope, yet to run into an Ajusto KW, had to heat and re-clock the stem. Takes no time to heat that little thing up though.
Spadefan

JoeMan wrote:
Ed, turns out my little Starfire has the same pointy stinger as the cigar holder I have!  I will assume this little pipe was also made in the early 60's, due to the stinger.....


RTDA almanac 1969 shows a Starfire was $5.95 in 1969.

http://pipepages.com/69rtda109.htm

Maybe the little stinger Starfire was from late 60s?
ted

I remember the Sportsman series. Believe the cigar holder stinger was the only one that would fit in such a small pipe.. td
Spadefan

For those interested heres my notes on Starfire prices

Starfire
1974 N.A.T.D. Co-ordinator - Volume 34 - Page 104 snippet view $5.95
1967 November Popular Mechanics $5.95
1967 March Popular Mechanics $4.95
1963 June Popular Mechanics $4.95
1962 November Popular Mechanics $3.95
1961 October Popular Mechanics $3.95
1958 December Popular Science $3.50
Oldredbeard

Thelonious Monkfish wrote:
JoeMan wrote:
Does that one work as an Ajusto??

Nope, yet to run into an Ajusto KW, had to heat and re-clock the stem. Takes no time to heat that little thing up though.


TM some, if not all the 500 and 600 series KW's were adjusto's. I have a 600 apple that's one of them. They didn't do it long, because they made it complicated with an anti-lock bearing, that would get crud in it and lock anyway.
       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your Dr. Grabows
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum