Archive for Dr. Grabow Pipes "America's One and Only"
 


       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your DIY projects
ozark southpaw

Pair of Tampers.

Both of these are a bit different than I usually do. The first one is made of briar and is the first I've made to be sandblasted. Carl did the blasting and it came out really nice.







This next one is made of Walnut and has six inlays made of brass tubing and wood dowels.  Got the idea from a guy on Youtube that I've been following. He has a couple of different videos about doing inlays in pens. I figured his ideas would work in a tamper as well. This one has a CA glue finish.





Oldredbeard

Beautiful work Ed. Those inlays look way cool, I really like that briar one.
russellwilson1979

wow

Those are awesome very nice work
Spadefan

Those are gooooood looking
Drifter-MT

A couple of beauties there Ed!
ozark southpaw

Thanks gents!
Piffyr

Really like that blasted tamper, Ed. Don't see too many of those. Talk to me about the CA finish on the other one. I'm not sure that I follow you on that.
ozark southpaw

Piffyr wrote:
Really like that blasted tamper, Ed. Don't see too many of those. Talk to me about the CA finish on the other one. I'm not sure that I follow you on that.


Another trick I learned from pen makers.  Usually done with the piece spinning in the lathe.   There's a bunch of videos on Youtube about doing this type of finish.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ca+finish+for+pens
JoeMan

Love your inlay work.  Carl's blast is top shelf.
ozark southpaw

Thanks Joe, I really like doing the inlays and have several types I want to try. I started another piece that uses strips cut from a soda can to make Celtic knots. I kinda messed it up as I went to far apart with my cuts.
Piffyr

ozark southpaw wrote:
Another trick I learned from pen makers.  Usually done with the piece spinning in the lathe.   There's a bunch of videos on Youtube about doing this type of finish.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ca+finish+for+pens

Oh, that's cool! Man, I need a lathe!
BarberTrey

Super nice Ed.
pwoodard

Great  looking tampers!
WayneD

Beautiful work. I really like the inlays and Carl did a fine job on the blasting.
C.E. Purdy

Ed
They both look great! Nicely done.
ozark southpaw

Thanks guys !

Tony,lathes are great! Mine allows me to do things I couldn't do without it. I have a metal lathe but I really want to get a wood lathe one of these days. So much more versatile for wood turning.
Oldredbeard

ozark southpaw wrote:
Thanks guys !

Tony,lathes are great! Mine allows me to do things I couldn't do without it. I have a metal lathe but I really want to get a wood lathe one of these days. So much more versatile for wood turning.


Ed, I agree, I really like my little wood lathe, but I would like to get a small metal like yours for the stuff that need to be more precise.
russellwilson1979

lathes

What's a good lathe for a beginner I have a dremel mini lathe but it doesn't seem like it's good for doing very much it only has one speed and what is a good set of tools to get to start turning wood
ozark southpaw

Re: lathes

russellwilson1979 wrote:
What's a good lathe for a beginner I have a dremel mini lathe but it doesn't seem like it's good for doing very much it only has one speed and what is a good set of tools to get to start turning wood


Something like this--   https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC10VS-B.html
russellwilson1979

thanks

Awesome I greatly appreciate it
alsmith52

You continue to outdo yourself. Al
ozark southpaw

Thanks Al !
JoeMan

Russ...or this one.  This is the one I've got...and with other sales...I ended up at something just over $150!

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html
russellwilson1979

thanks

Thanks I appreciate it I'll look at both of them
Piffyr

ozark southpaw wrote:
Thanks guys !

Tony,lathes are great! Mine allows me to do things I couldn't do without it. I have a metal lathe but I really want to get a wood lathe one of these days. So much more versatile for wood turning.

Yeah, I know. There's a metal lathe on the acquisition list. I had thought that I could pull the trigger before the end of the year, but it's going to have to wait until after the holidays. Sad Are you turning your stummels on the metal lathe? If so, any clearance issues?
Piffyr

JoeMan wrote:
Russ...or this one.  This is the one I've got...and with other sales...I ended up at something just over $150!

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html

Good to know somebody in the pipe community that has one of those. I was looking at them. A month or so ago they had them in the store for $115. Does it have enough precision to do stem work?
ozark southpaw

Piffyr wrote:
ozark southpaw wrote:
Thanks guys !

Tony,lathes are great! Mine allows me to do things I couldn't do without it. I have a metal lathe but I really want to get a wood lathe one of these days. So much more versatile for wood turning.

Yeah, I know. There's a metal lathe on the acquisition list. I had thought that I could pull the trigger before the end of the year, but it's going to have to wait until after the holidays. Sad Are you turning your stummels on the metal lathe? If so, any clearance issues?


I do a limited amount of stummel turning with my lathe. The main limiting factor is my chuck. The jaws on it are not designed to hold a rather large chunk of wood.  Also this lathe has only a 7" swing so you have only approx. 3 1/2" from the centerline of the chuck to the ways (bed). Can't do Canadians!!  
Also the tool rest that is available to allow the use of hand tools sucks!!  Especially of you're turning between centers,can't get the rest in where you need it because the tailstock and live center gets in the way.
 It great for stem work and the tampers I make but really wish I had a larger lathe.  If you buy a metal lathe go as big as you can afford.
vwdeano

Wonderful stuff.  You do really pretty work, Ed.
Piffyr

ozark southpaw wrote:
I do a limited amount of stummel turning with my lathe. The main limiting factor is my chuck. The jaws on it are not designed to hold a rather large chunk of wood.  Also this lathe has only a 7" swing so you have only approx. 3 1/2" from the centerline of the chuck to the ways (bed). Can't do Canadians!!  
Also the tool rest that is available to allow the use of hand tools sucks!!  Especially of you're turning between centers,can't get the rest in where you need it because the tailstock and live center gets in the way.
 It great for stem work and the tampers I make but really wish I had a larger lathe.  If you buy a metal lathe go as big as you can afford.

Thanks, Ed. That's really helpful.
ozark southpaw

Thanks Dean !
kaitlyn3837

That metal piece looks like it's two metal pieces put together. Do you make that piece yourself?

These are very beautiful and that sandblasted one is a charmer.
ozark southpaw

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
That metal piece looks like it's two metal pieces put together. Do you make that piece yourself?

These are very beautiful and that sandblasted one is a charmer.


Kaitlyn, I assume that by the metal piece you mean the removable tip and pick ?  If so it is actually three pieces.  The tip I cut from 1/2" brass rod,then drill and thread it to accept a short stud that I have drilled to accept the pick- which is cut from stainless rod,ground flat on one side and polished.

The only part I don't make is the brass stud which starts out as bolt. I cut off the head of the bolt and drill it for the pick. All parts are epoxied together.
       Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Showcase your DIY projects
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum