Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index Dr. Grabow Pipes
"America's One and Only"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for some opinions on the different lines.
Page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Contemporary Grabow / The New Millenium
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Flycruiser
Silver Duke


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 668


Location: Tennessee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

My absolute favorite pipe is a golden duke 45 too. I have a redwood 45 and a cardinal apple. Both are very nice. I got all 3 from the factory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charliec
Grand Duke


Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 50


Location: cairo ga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flycruiser wrote:
My absolute favorite pipe is a golden duke 45 too. I have a redwood 45 and a cardinal apple. Both are very nice. I got all 3 from the factory.

i am not familiar with redwood got any pics?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrabowFan
Silver Duke


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 655



PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only comment on the Royalton.  I own a smooth Royalton Dublin.  Beautiful grain.  No fills (I have seen a few with fills, however).  Love the stain.  Excellent smoker.  A high quality pipe at a great price.
_________________
“Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world.”
— Irish Proverb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flycruiser
Silver Duke


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 668


Location: Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliec wrote:
Flycruiser wrote:
My absolute favorite pipe is a golden duke 45 too. I have a redwood 45 and a cardinal apple. Both are very nice. I got all 3 from the factory.

i am not familiar with redwood got any pics?


The Cardinal is the pot in the upper right. The Redwood is the apple on the upper left. I had them backwards in my previous post. Very good smoking pipes. They do not have the spade on the stem and are simply stamped Dr Grabow.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoeMan
Golden Duke


Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 6896


Location: Greenville, SC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not stamped with Redwood and Cardinal?

Wonder why no spade...hmmm...maybe the machine was out of order that day.  Wink
_________________
JoeMan

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Flycruiser
Silver Duke


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 668


Location: Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeMan wrote:
They're not stamped with Redwood and Cardinal?

Wonder why no spade...hmmm...maybe the machine was out of order that day.  Wink


Nope, just Dr. Grabow. The pot has imported briar stamped below that. Seems I recall Tom or RJ or Ed saying they asked why no grade stamping and the man giving the tour said matter of factly "because they're not Dr Grabows." Any of y'all remember who asked that? I think it was at the 2010 tour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colorduke
Golden Duke


Joined: 26 Feb 2010
Posts: 1202


Location: laurelton pa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cardinal stem has the spade on it.
_________________
I'll give up my pipe,when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Notedhillbilly
Golden Duke


Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Posts: 1669



PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, these are no longer made, and it is why I do not smoke a new grabow. I started with estates, and the new pipe just didn't feel real in my hand. Just not my cup of tea. I keep hoping they will bring back the old stuff. Don't see it happening.
_________________
Wish that I was on old Rocky Top, up in the Tennessee hills. Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top, ain't no telephone bills!... Go Vols!

Dr. Grabow 83 quality control.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flycruiser
Silver Duke


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 668


Location: Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best grained pipes I have owned in my 12 or so years of pipe smoking is a new production Royal Duke prince. Birdseye on the side and beautiful straight horizontal grain on the front and back.

I actually think I like the way the new Dr. Grabows smoke over the old ones. Now that being said, I think the old ones are great smokers as well, but I really do like the new ones with a filter. My favorite pipe out of everything I've owned from other Grabows up to Dunhills and artisan pipes is a Golden Duke pot I bought through the factory mail out 3 years ago. I do like the older stems better, the new ABS stems are a bit thick, but my new briar smokes perfectly.

I tend to base my collections more on smoking quality than anything. Now I do collect the older stuff. I love wire carved Viscounts, Starfires and Westbrooks. I'm also trying to get a 45 in every line made. But for my "regular smokers" the pipes I pick up in the morning and smoke till they go on the rack at night, 75% of those are new production. They're work horses. So I can completely understand someone collecting, say, Rivieras or plain Dukes.

I will also admit I'm a loyalist and think any Dr. Grabow is a darn fine pipe. From an old Riviera to a new Royalton.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Notedhillbilly
Golden Duke


Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Posts: 1669



PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flycruiser wrote:
One of the best grained pipes I have owned in my 12 or so years of pipe smoking is a new production Royal Duke prince. Birdseye on the side and beautiful straight horizontal grain on the front and back.

I actually think I like the way the new Dr. Grabows smoke over the old ones. Now that being said, I think the old ones are great smokers as well, but I really do like the new ones with a filter. My favorite pipe out of everything I've owned from other Grabows up to Dunhills and artisan pipes is a Golden Duke pot I bought through the factory mail out 3 years ago. I do like the older stems better, the new ABS stems are a bit thick, but my new briar smokes perfectly.

I tend to base my collections more on smoking quality than anything. Now I do collect the older stuff. I love wire carved Viscounts, Starfires and Westbrooks. I'm also trying to get a 45 in every line made. But for my "regular smokers" the pipes I pick up in the morning and smoke till they go on the rack at night, 75% of those are new production. They're work horses. So I can completely understand someone collecting, say, Rivieras or plain Dukes.

I will also admit I'm a loyalist and think any Dr. Grabow is a darn fine pipe. From an old Riviera to a new Royalton.


I'll have to give them another go then. I have yet to try the bent bulldog, and I have heard good things about the royaltons. I have had the full bent but it was not to my liking. I love grabow and I am willing to give them many more tries. I tend to be a codger for nostalgia, though I am too young to really remember anything nostalgic.  Very Happy


_________________
Wish that I was on old Rocky Top, up in the Tennessee hills. Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top, ain't no telephone bills!... Go Vols!

Dr. Grabow 83 quality control.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr. Grabow Pipes Forum Index -> Contemporary Grabow / The New Millenium All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum